Home Monuments and Culture Monuments and archaeological sites

Мonuments and archaeological sites - VILLAGE KURIJA

Article Index
Мonuments and archaeological sites
NEGOTINO
DEMIR KAPIJA
SOPOT
STOBI
VILLAGE KURIJA
Stories
All Pages

 

VILLAGE KURIJA

According to the famous ethno-geographer and ethnologist d-r Voislav Radovanovik, author of the study for Tikvesh and Raec, which was his PhD thesis, village Kurija has its origins in roman period, many artifacts and archeological sites near the village are testifying to this.

Village of Kurija until the beginning of 19th century was one village with mixed Christian and Muslim population. But in that time known Turkish violator Kantur-bey entered the village Kurija and Christian population moved out. Muslim population moved in the empty Christian houses. He established big “chiflik” (property unit) on the other bank of river Luda Mara. Then this village got the name Islamic or Turkish Kurija and the neighboring village was called Risjan (slang name for Christians) Kurija.

Village Risjanska Kurija is located on the left bank of river Luda Mara on low plains. Village was Christian of chiflik type. The shape of chiflik was square and it had four chiflik houses, short and long around 70 meters. Village had 18 houses, and on the beginning of 20th century number of houses and population increased continuously. Population was mostly involved in agriculture and cattle breeding.

In 1919-1920 with formation of Kingdom of Yugoslavia, the chiflik system is abandoned and villagers received several hectares of land from the state for cultivation. Land was very fertile especially along river Luda Mara, which valley was wide up to 4.000 meters. Kantur-bey’s chiflik existed until the beginning of 20th century when his family started losing its fortune and lost power and influence over the villagers. This was a reason to sell chiflik to a rich trader from Veles, by the name of Dimko-Pasha.

Village of Islamic or Turkish Kurija is located on the opposite side of village Risjanska Kurija, on a low land on the right bank of river Luda Mara. There was a water tap in the village which in summer months went dry or had very little water, insufficient for the needs of the villagers. The village was mixed and had Muslim and Christian population. Until 1913 most of population were Muslims but after Balkan wars Muslims started moving out to Turkey in large numbers and their houses were partly inhabited by Christians. In 1919-1929 started colonization in Macedonia, and many colonists from Serbia and Bosnia moved in the houses where previously Muslim population lived. Village had 40 houses in total out of whish old settlers 12 houses and 28 colonists – new settlers.

Soil in Muslim Kurija as well as in the next village was very fertile, and poppy from Kurija was considered among highest quality one in the region. Colonists from Serbia brought in some novelties in the way of cultivating the land as well some new crops which were never cultivated in this region.

 

Important archeological sites in v. Kurija

DOBROGLED, on the southeast periphery of village Kurija, on a mild slope leaned towards the village were discovered many fragmented ceramics, which with the construction material speak of an individual rural object from late antique period, also supported with the tomb of type cista made of stone panels. This villa rustica and the discovered necropolis belong to 4th -5th century of our age.

 

LAKATA, around 800 meters from the railway station Kukurechani, in the field of Dushko Trajkov, on the left bank of Kurjacka River, pitos and fragmented ceramics were discovered. It is small rural settlement from late antique period settled on top of remains of earlier prehistoric settlement from neolith period.