Home Monuments and Culture Monuments and archaeological sites

Мonuments and archaeological sites - NEGOTINO

Article Index
Мonuments and archaeological sites
NEGOTINO
DEMIR KAPIJA
SOPOT
STOBI
VILLAGE KURIJA
Stories
All Pages

 

NEGOTINO 

Important archeological sites

G r a d i s h t e, is located on the northwest outskirts of Negotino, high above the right bank of River Vardar, on a terrace with southern exposition, on the area of 3 ha and is rich with plenty of ceramic material with wider chronology and cultural spectrum. It is a settlement with fort at an extremely favorable location especially in strategic and communication sense. It is located on a crossroad of the antique road Stobi-Serdika. The archeological excavations in 1983 have discovered rich fund of ceramic material from pre-classical, classical and particularly Hellenist period. Ceramic material of later antique dates 4th to 6th century. In the southern parts of the site besides the archeological material also Hellenic structures have been discovered. To the north of the settlement necropolis was discovered with several poor drinking water wells. Some scientists believe archeological site Gradishte is actually the antique settlement Antigonea, from which the town of Negotino derives its modern name.

 

Important cultural-historic monuments in Negotino

S a a t  K u la (Clock tower) in Negotino, according to one source was built in 1821 by Hadzi Tair-aga Sinanovski, who was a wealthy and powerful bey. In the same year he took part in suppression of the Negush rebellion in Greece and ceased the Bell tower and took all the parts for this clock. With his own funds he also built mosque and bezisten (closed shopping area). Everybody in town was happy about the tower because they had accurate time measurement. They used it as orientation when to start and stop working. Saat Kula had survived several unpleasant moments. Once was broken by a Turkish violator. He lived near the tower and had a pregnant wife who got stressed every time the bell rang. Caring husband was afraid something bad would happen to his wife because of the bell toll and at one occasion in midnight took the gun and shot the clock. Clock was broken for several days only. Repair men were called and they fixed the clock.

During the Balkan wars the clock, the bell and other mechanisms were removed and taken to unknown direction. Thus the bell toll stopped and only the remaining of the tower testifies that there was a clock here once.

 

St. Gjorgji Monastery is located 2 km east of Negotino, based on foundations of an older structure. According to the inscription of a panel built in the south wall of the porch, monastery church was built in 1860 and completed in 1866. The master mason was Andon Kotanov of the Angelkovci family from village of Tresonche, Mala reka, Debar area.

Monastery church is typical structure from the renaissance period when cathedrals were built throughout Macedonia in large sizes and with open porches. The church has architectonic shape of three-shipped church with three domes, divided to three travea (beams) and with wide round porches on the west and south side.

Fresco painting was done by brothers Vangel, Nikola and Kosta Atanasovi from Krushevo. The seat icon of the church was made by zograf from Veles Hadzi Konstantin Krstev.

There are additionally built old inns in the monastery complex. They were demolished and new were built instead, preserving the style of the old ones. Main donors for icons were from Shtip and zografs were from Krushevo. The old 19th century inns existed in the monastery until recently. They were again demolished and new were built, not authentic to the old ones. During the First Balkan War monastery served as a hospital for the Bulgarian army, which robbed all of the monastery treasure during retreat. That was the time when track was lost for many icons and valuable monastery belongings.