Home Monuments and Culture Monuments and archaeological sites

Мonuments and archaeological sites

Article Index
Мonuments and archaeological sites
NEGOTINO
DEMIR KAPIJA
SOPOT
STOBI
VILLAGE KURIJA
Stories
All Pages

KAVADARCI 


Important archaeological sites in Kavadarci

 

E u d a r i s t. Is archeological site located on the left side of Kavadarci-Prilep road about 2 km north of village Drenovo. Eudarist was one of the major antique settlements in this part of Macedonia and was spread on the area of 17 ha. Although still insufficiently explored it is known that it dates from 6th century B.C., existed for several centuries, and was known as Devol-city in Middle Ages. It lays over a hill above Drenovo Gorge. Location and size of this settlement gives indication that maybe it was the seat of Kingdom of Paionians (ethnic group living in Macedonia in the antique period). Regretfully, this archeological site is still insufficiently explored and unknown to wider public, even to scientific circles. At the base of the settlement was discovered a small temple dedicated to god Dion or Dionysius, which is especially important for the area of vineyards where whole temples were dedicated to one of the most worshiped gods in ancient mythology. Until present day, they discovered large number of paionic bronze coins with inscription PAIONON, and also were found mobile monument material, stone plastic, kapitels (upper decorative part of the colon), ceramics etc. In summer 1932 Serbian archeologist Nikola Vulik has discovered here parts of marble horseman, which were taken along with other artifacts to Belgrade.

 

Belgrad, antique settlement around 5,5 km east of Kavadarci in vineyards of “Belgrad” - the economic operator with the same title. This site was registered in the archeological map of Tikvesh in 1975 under no. 172/1 and designated as Roman necropolis in documentation of RZZSK Skopje. Site is spreading over 1 ha of land where more then 40 stela (antique tomb stone) were discovered, some of them with impressive size. This settlement existed in antique period, and near settlement of Hohovo in the Middle Ages, area known for quality production of grapes. Population of settlement of Belgrad was mentioned in the beautiful Macedonian song “Biljana platno beleshe” (Biljana was bleaching cloth) and vintners from Belgrade are vintners from the settlement of Belgrad where people always produced good grapes and wine

 

More important churches and monasteries in Kavadarci

Church St. Dimitrija was built in 1834 by the initiative of rich Kavadarci trader Dime Vlekov, who went all the way to Carigrad and got a ferman (document) from the Sultan granting Christians from Kavadarci the right to build a church. Since Kavadarci’s beys (Turkish aristocrats) harshly opposed to build it in town center, they found a compromising solution to locate it to the west at the outskirts of the town and not taller then minarets of mosques in town. Interior of the church was modest in decoration, because according to Turkish religious believes, it was not allowed for Christian religious objects to be more beautiful and richer then Muslim ones. Bell tower was as tall as the church and was re-constructed to the needed height even after the Balkan wars. Church represents thee-shipped basilica, 34 m long with priprata (church porch) and 16 m wide. Today it has 111 icons, out of which 56 are from the church of St. Mina in Gornikovo and there are also icons from the church of St. Troica from v. Brushani.

 

Church of St. Bogorodica in Vatasha was built at the initiative of Hadzi Kole, respected and wealthy trader and renter, who bribed the Thessaloniki valija (head of large administration unit) to get the permission to build the church. It was built in 1817 by 80 masons and local population from Vatasha. First priest in the new church was Kamche, son of Hadzi Kole. Church is three-shipped basilica, 23,14 m long and 10,33 m wide. Side ships are with flat wooden ceiling and middle ship is with four blind kaloti (carved colons). Painting in the church was done by Krste Zograf from Veles during 1819. Emperor’s doors are made in 1818 by anonymous author. The west of the church is the bell tower 10 m tall and the church bell was a gift from Metodija Dzunov in 1926, cast in Bitola. Last inventory in 1965 records 79 icons, including some from 18th century, brought from some older churches in the area. Many important cultural and educational events are related with Vatasha church.

 

 

Poloshki monastery St. Gjorgji represents one of most important cultural and historical monuments in Macedonia. It was built in 1340 and according to the chronicle of Emperor Dushan, it was burial place of Dragushin, son of despot Altimir and Princess Marija, born daughter of Bulgarian emperor Skilica. Therefore it is believed to be a mausoleum or burial church. Church is painted with frescoes in 14th century and its priprata was painted in 1609. Polielej (church chandelier) of the church dates from 1492 and represents the oldest dated wood carving in Macedonia. In 1584 the Great cross was made for the iconostasis of Poloshki monastery which stands as one of the most beautiful wood carving pieces in Macedonia. In the past monastery owned a rich library with rare old books and handwritings which were in quantity 50 loads according to Jordan Hadzi Konstantinov Dzinot. Monastery had two inns – east and south one with 18 rooms and each of the neighboring villages were taking care of one of the rooms. It owned large property with 50 ha of fertile land, lots of pastures and forests. They had several hundreds of heads of small livestock and cattle and the monastery was managed by igumen, with the number of monks between 10 and 20. Each year on Gjurgjovden (St. George’s day) there was a great fair and for Bogorodica (Virgin Mary day) there was a monastery festivity. Monastery had a vast cellar where monks made quality wines, and the way of production was kept a secret.

 

Moklishki monastery St. Nikola. Around 5 km southeast of Vatasha is monastery church dedicated to St. Nikola. It was built in 1595 by Nikola and his sons from Timjanik. Monastery is near the former settlement of Moklishte and that’s why it was called Moklishki monastery. It is one-ship structure, with a gallery at its back entrance. First cell schools in this area were operating in this monastery which also had rich library with more than 30 loads of books, but it was neglected by the careless priests and villagers.

Paintings in the church date from two time periods, first when the monastery was built and the second from 1879. According to the preserved inscription above the door from the inside, you could see it was built in 1595. Preserved fresco painting on the western, southern wall and altar space demonstrates the quality of a mediocre craftsman, but still one who understands his trade. There was a cellar in the inns of the Moklishte monastery where monks used to make excellent red wine for their needs.

 

Boshava monastery. Monastery St. Archangel Michael and monastery inns were built in 1839 and the church was fresco painted in 1880. Monastery church is three-shipped with two rows of colons forming three ships. In the upper parts of southern and northern wall are windows illuminating the interior of the church. Here are two entrances in the church from the north and west side. Monastery church has open porch on the west side and small porch on the north side. Judging from the style of the fresco painting, it was the same craftsman who painted the church in Bohula.

 

Medieval (Marko’s) tower in Kavadarci, is located in Kulevsko maalo. It was supposedly built in the second half of 17th century of stone and mortar. Tower is 20 m tall and the thickness of the walls is one meter. It has five stores, but the ruined roof construction also caused deterioration of the stairway construction. There are no windows on the second floor, there is one window on the third floor, and four windows with iron bars on the fourth floor, as well as on the fifth. There is an opening on the south side where they defended the access to the tower from. The last floor of the tower had a toilet, a little wider from the tower and one wall had a fireplace and several dolapi (indents in walls like compartments). Medieval tower in Kavadarci had defensive role and solders were inside taking care of the safety of the town and the roads around it.